Women & Farming
- The number of U.S. farms declined by 4%*
- The number of farms operated by women increased 13%*
- The number of women-operated farms grew by an even greater 29%*
- The number of farms overall increased by only 3.6%*
* U.S. Census of Agriculture
Women-operated farms tend to be:
- more diversified
- less mechanized
- sustainable / organic
- involving direct sales to consumers, such as selling at farmers’ markets
Globally, women play a huge role in food production.
Rural women produce half of the world’s food and 60% to 80% of the food in most developing countries -- United Nations Food & Agriculture Organization
The number of people growing their own vegetable gardens has risen significantly, due to factors such as the economic downturn, concern about food safety, and a desire for great-tasting, healthy food.